Re: [linux-audio-user] Recommendations for audio software needed

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Recommendations for audio software needed
From: Ketil Thorgersen (linuxuadio_AT_rytmisk.net)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 23:27:22 EET

torsdag 8. januar 2004, 21:30, skrev Conrad Newton:
> I need some advice from those more experienced with
> audio software than myself.
>
> I am building a Knoppix-style live CD that will be
> used by teachers and pupils in Oslo, Norway.
>
> Most of the users are unfamiliar with Linux, and
> the CD is supposed to be their first introduction.
>
> Within the audio category, it is obvious that
> I should have a CD player (kscd), a CD-burner (k3b),
> and an mp3/ogg player (xmms). I also want to have
> some music editing software, and I have identified
> the following programs as potentially interesting
>
> ardour
> audacity
> muse
> rosegarden4
>
> I have also been meaning to include solfege, the ear
> training program on the CD, but without really being
> certain how many people would use it.
>
> My question is, if I can only include 2 of the above
> programs (for space reasons), which two should I take?
> Bear in mind the restriction that the users are not
> a high-tech crowd.

Very interesting! I'm a teacher in Norway as well and have thought about
starting to use linux apps in my music teaching, but have found it to
cumbersome in the present state. I think audacity is the way to go as it is
multiplatform. The pupils and teachers can easily use it on their windows
home-pc. Both Muse and rosegarden is fine, although I personally find Muse a
bit more intuitive. One of them should be included for composing by way of
notation. If there is space I'd definately use the ear-training app.

Let us know when it is reseased!

Best regards (og lykke til!)
Ketil