Re: [linux-audio-user] Looking for a distro strategy

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Looking for a distro strategy
From: Richard K. Ingalls (ringalls_AT_glenwood.k12.mo.us)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 19:47:53 EET

tim hall wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> On Monday 19 January 2004 3:30 pm, Greg Reddin wrote:
>
>>What about Agnula? How do you upgrade
>>individual packages? How do you back out the upgrade if there's a
>>problem? Do you manage a separate "test" environment to keep from
>>bringing down your DAW?
>

> I'm using Agnula on a double-booted system. I've got Woody/DeMuDi-1.0 on hda
> and Sarge/DeMuDi-1.1.0 on hdb I've set up chroots in both directions so I can
> access the one while booted into the other. It works for me.
>
> You'd probably want to track the Agnua/unstable packages - they do maintain
> ReHMuDi packages too, which I imagine you can install on top of Red Hat same
> as Debian. You may even be able to use apt, I don't know.
>
> I'm actually using synaptic as a package manager ATM and apart from a couple
> of niggles it works well. I can't imagine running a system which didn't have
> apt - It is super-cool IMHO and extremely well documented, such that I'm able
> to run insane mixed systems side by side with relative ease. I'd say it was
> easier to configure and run than, say kmail. I'm still a relative newbie, so
> experience may show me the pitfalls, but I haven't seen them yet. I guess
> backing out of upgrades is tricky to say the least, these tools weren't
> really designed to go backwards. Apt-pinning works for packages in most
> cases.

For what it's worth... I use YUM instead of apt
and I LOVE IT! It is the easiest way to upgrade.
  Try it out. I've not tried downgrading though.

Richard K. Ingalls
Director of Information Technology
Glenwood R-8 School District
West Plains, MO

email..ringalls_AT_glenwood.k12.mo.us web....glenwood.k12.mo.us ph.....417.256.4849 fax....417.257.2567