Re: [linux-audio-user] New to the list & Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] New to the list & Linux
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 20:06:09 EET

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:36:28AM -0600, Richard K. Ingalls wrote:
> Hello list members!
>
> I'm new to this list and relatively new to Linux.
> I discovered the power of Linux about 2 years
> ago and began switching my school district over to
> it (still migrating). I use only Linux for my
> servers (web/email/proxy/file/backup/etc.). I've
> setup two classroom labs using Linux as the
> desktop. I'd like to look at using Linux in the
> music lab (not yet created). So I found this
> mailing list.
>
> I'm a keyboardist and MIDI user (since Cakewalk
> first came out). I want to create a DAW (for my
> home use as well as for school). I need it to do
> MIDI and samples and record audio. I'm trying to
> get a Delta 66 with Omni breakout box for the
> soundcard, and maybe a Soundblaster Live (w EMU10K
> chip) for the soundfonts.
>
> My questions to the list...
>
> 1) Are there Linux equivalents

By "equivalent" I assume you mean
"an application X on linux that has integrated all the major
features of application Y on windows."
For various historical, cultural, and practical reasons,
this tends not to be the way that linux audio developers work.

> to Reason,

not in one app.

for equivalent functionality:
You could build your own with PD!
Or you can run hydrogen, seq24, jack-rack, and any number of
soft synths at the same time. It's fun - except for restoring
sessions later which you have to do largely by hand or with
shell scripts, a major pain in the butt.
This is an issue that will hopefully improve as more developers
adopt LADCCA.

> Sonar,

not in one app.

ardour + rosegarden4 / muse / seq24 + jack rack +
various soft synths. Same session management problem as above.

> FruityLoops,

no.

> Cubase

maybe. try Muse and Rosegarden4.

> ProTools

You should really check out the latest Ardour beta.

> 2) Is anyone using dual processors (maybe PIII 500
> Mhz) successfully?

not me, but several of us are.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's IAMBIC CLOWN ALPHA! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)