Re: [linux-audio-user] Recommendations for the newbie?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Recommendations for the newbie?
From: Austin Acton (aacton_AT_yorku.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 01:53:39 EET

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 18:47, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > VIA chipset? nVidia? Intel?
>
> I stay clear of Nvidia, some of their stuff (ethernet, graphics card)
> is only fully supported on Linux by binary drivers. I won't support
> such a detrimental attitude with my money. YMMV.

I've had bad luck with VIA, and Intel as far as sound quality. Both
sucked. M-Audio stuff sounds VERY noticably better.

nVidia is just a constant hassle to keep it working. I'd avoid it at
all costs. If you're talking video chips, I'm very happy with my intel
845... effortless. If you're talking about integrated audio (nForce or
whatever), I'd say stay clear.

Austin

--
                                 Austin Acton
        Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant, Ph.D. Candidate