Re: [linux-audio-user] sequencers comparison

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] sequencers comparison
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 19:56:40 EET

lördagen den 31 januari 2004 23.23 skrev Florin Andrei:
> I know there were some discussions not too long ago about sequencers,
> but i'd like to ask the questions in a slightly different way.
>
> I'm looking for a decent sequencer for Linux. It's not required to be a
> "Logic/Cubase/Pro Tools/Sonar killer" (although it would be great :-D),
> but i'd like it to perform a few basic tasks well.

On account of MusE:

> Must-have features:
> - record and play multiple MIDI tracks
check
> - record and play multiple sound tracks
check
> - MIDI and sound must be able to blend freely in a project (i.e. record
> and play arbitrary combinations of MIDI and sound tracks simultaneously)
check
> - overdub multiple sound tracks into one (or two)
check (not sure what you mean about two, stereo?)
> - fine-grained MIDI editing (edit individual keystrokes' parameters such
> as velocity, timing adjustments)
check
> - automatic tool to move slightly off-beat keystrokes to a fixed
> temporal grid which is defined in the program (therefore making "perfect
> performance" timing-wise)
check
> - sound editing abilities (features such as "snap to pass-through-zero"
> would be nice)
not yet I think
> - LADSPA filters
check
> - play a metronome through a MIDI or sound channel
check
> - works with JACK and ALSA
check
> - does not crash
well...um....perhaps? :)

> Nice-to-have features:
> - the editors (MIDI, sound) and, generally, the whole app must be
> user-friendly and inspiration-friendly :-) (when the inspiration
> possesses you, it's not a good thing to start fumbling through some
> crappy interface and make a thousand mouse clicks just to do some
> trivial operation - every second lost is precious)
This is very much from person to person... MusE is not always intuitive so you
always know how to do things, which might be a problem for new users (asking
on the mailinglist is recommended), though, when you know how things are done
it's generally done swiftly... my opinion, of course.

> - music notation
at the moment yes, but I think it is removed in cvs, don't know if it will
reappear. There are external packages that do a good job with this anyways.

> - some kind of interoperability with related apps
of course, lots.

> Essentially, in the free software world, it's either Muse or Rosegarden.
> Has any of you extensive experience with both applications? Which one is
> a better fit for the description above?
Being very much biased I'm not the one to compare, it works the way I like it
in muse...
I suggest you try both to get a feel for it yourself. In the end it's the
details that either work for you or against you.

/Robert