[linux-audio-user] bad lag with audiophile 2496

Subject: [linux-audio-user] bad lag with audiophile 2496
From: Dr.Whiz-Bang (joe_AT_joeyreid.com)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 17:47:47 EET

Hi all. I just joined the list, and I figured I would unload my
problems on all of you, since you seem so nice form reading the
archives :-)

I have been using linux for years, but not ALSA. I just bought a new
computer with an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card in hopes of doing a
little bit of recording, but I seem to have run into a problem just
getting my base system configured

Whenever I do something that uses sound, I get about a 3 second delay
before the sound plays. Once the audio has started playing then
everything is fine until it stops. I then get the delay again the next
time I try to play a sound.

This is a little bit inconvienient when I try to start rhythmbox and I
wait for the music to start, rather annoying when desktop "beeps and
dings" are delayed until after the action has occurred, and downright
freakish when I try a flash animation like on homestarrunner.com. By
way of example, the main page of that site contains a bunch of buttons
that trigger animations and sound effects as you mouse over them. When
I mouse over the first button, the animation starts but then halts
while waiting for the sound effect. If I keep my cursor there, 3
seconds later the sound plays and the animation continues, and then if
I mouse to the next button I must wait again. If I move my cursor to
the next button while the sound fromt he first one is still playing, I
get the sound effect immediately, and as long as I don't let the audio
stop, every thing is fine.

Has anyone seen something like this, or have any possible suggestions?
I google for combinations of ice1712, envy24, lag, buffer alsa, and
others but could not get any resonable results.

I am using Fedora Core 1 with the 2.4.22 kernel form ATrpms and alsa
1.0.2 (also from ATrpms). I have tried disabling esd, but it doesn't
make a difference. I don't have my modules.conf right now, but it is
very stock (configured with alsaconf) other than a couple of lines I
added to prevent searching for a second sound card (was printing
messages to /var/log/messages about being able to load module for
snd-slot-1 - this didn't fix my problem ;-). My system is an Athlon XP
2500+ (barton) with NForce2 ultra400, 1 gig of RAM (dual-channel),
GeforceFX 5200 and Maxtor 160G sata (SiI3112 controller). Onboard AC97
audio is disabled in the BIOS.

Any help would be appreciated.