Re: [linux-audio-user] emu10k1 and jack

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] emu10k1 and jack
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 13:33:20 EET

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 12:24:48 +0100, Antonio wrote:
> I've done the question because I noticed that jamin increase the latency
> much more then other apps (like ardour or jack-rack). For example the
> with the setup:
>
> midi -> ZynAddSubFX -> jack-rack -> ardour -> alsa out
> (5.3 ms)
>
> I have no (at least easily) audible delay when I play (using 2 periods
> of 512 frames), while with:
>
> midi -> ZynAddSubFX -> jamin -> alsa out

Thats because the processing in jamin is high latency - jack itsself
doesnt add any latency, no matter how many apps you connect.

Well, actually thats not true - it will add latency if you have a jack
feedback loop, but only 1 buffers worth. With trees and chains you dont
get any additional lantecy over what the app adds.

- Steve