Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 5, Issue 27

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 5, Issue 27
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 17:41:11 EET

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 05:27:14AM -0800, Bill Schottstaedt wrote:
> I don't think this is a problem; you can usually turn off
> the GC during time-critical code, and in most cases, such code
> is in C anyway (handled via a foreign function interface), and
> at least in normal use, you're in control at that level.

I don't know about other garbage-collected languages, but
there is no way to temporarily disable GC in Python,
nor any way to force it to run at a particular time.

> Besides, modern hardware is far faster than people seem to
> realize, and modern GC's don't spend much time on a sweep.
> Gad, now I'll have to go and run some tests...

That would be interesting.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's POLITICALLY CORRECT DERVISH FEMINIST! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)