Re: [linux-audio-user] still have bad sound

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] still have bad sound
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 16:01:39 EET

Greetings:

  Thank you to all who replied with suggestions for resolving my sound
problem. After working all last night on it I've come to some new
possible conclusions.

  First, sound is fine outside of X. I tested realtime output from three
long Csound compositions (Face On Mars, Incantations, and Trapped In
Convert), they all played fine, even when I moved the console mouse.

  Second, sound is fine in X with *some* applications. XMMS plays things
perfectly, no glitches while I move the mouse or switch workspaces. The
major offender has been Csound when I run an app (ImproSculpt) utilizing
the FLTK opcodes. The audio distortion had become intolerable, making
the app nearly useless. Btw, the distortion wasn't just from the mouse,
it was bad even without mouse movement, full of pops and crackles. The
mouse really zippered when I moved it across the display, and moving
windows chopped things up more.

  Following advice found in an article by Daniel Robbins
(http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-hw2.html) I adjusted
the PCI latency timer (with setpci) for my sound card. At last I
eliminated *most* of the trouble with ImproSculpt. The mouse still zips
but the overall distortion is gone. I thought that perhaps FLTK had been
compiled with GL dependencies, but 'ldd lbfltk.so' showed none.

  I do have the no-hlt option appended to lilo.conf, but I think that
the nVidia driver's DRI overrides the option. Bummer. So I'm still
trying to eliminate the mouse zip in ImproSculpt, but overall sound is
much improved.

  Btw, here's what I have in lilo.conf, I presume I have the syntax
correct :

    append="hdc=ide-scsi no-hlt root=LABEL=/"

  Lilo doesn't complain about it, so I figure it's right, but maybe not... ?

  Back to the hack...

Best,

dp