Re: [linux-audio-user] Which kernel for low latency?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Which kernel for low latency?
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 09:22:20 EET

Hi,

On Monday 16 February 2004 00.37, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Eric Dantan Rzewnicki hat gesagt: // Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> > As far as annectdotal evidence, I'm running jack and ecasound right now
> > with jack started this way:
> > jackstart -v -R -d alsa -d ice1712 -r 44100 -p 128 -n 2
> >
> > using linux 2.6.2 and alsa-drivers-1.0.2c. Seems to be working fairly
> > well here. no dropouts or xruns while browsing, writing this mail,
> > switching desktops, or switching out of X to the console.
>
> Some more anecdotes: I switched to 2.6 now, currently running
> 2.6.2-rc3 with ALSA CVS and capabilities patch. My laptop even uses
> the stock Debian 2.6.0 package. System responsiveness is much improved
> in general and even feels faster than my LL and preemptible patched
> 2.4.22 kernel (I know it isn't but it really does feel so.)

It's possible 2.6 actually _is_ faster (not as in more mhz). Some of the new
features should definitely make a difference, improved threading and improved
scheduler for instance.

There was a test report posted on slashdot a few weeks ago sporting some
server apps running under both kernels. The results where quite astonishing.
I think some of the tests showed over 60% (!!!) better performance (don't ask
me how they counted, I only skimmed it).
Now, testing the kernel with respect to server performance might not have a
lot to do with audio/desktop performance but it's definitely a hint.

/Robert