Re: [linux-audio-user] multiple MIDI interfaces

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] multiple MIDI interfaces
From: Clemens Ladisch (clemens_AT_ladisch.de)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 14:32:29 EET

Florin Andrei wrote:
> I understand the concept of routing in hardware, and i see the
> advantages, but wouldn't that prevent aconnect/kacconect to do their
> normal job?

No. There are two layers of routing. The hardware routing specifies
how the (hardware) MIDI connectors are connected to each other and/or
to the ports made available by the driver. ALSA's routing specifies
how these (software) ports are connected to each other, and/or to
applications.

> (UM-550/UM-880)
> In general, is there any way to control this interface in software under
> Linux?

Chris Pickett already mentioned this is possible by sending SysEx's to
the control port. There isn't any point-and-click utility for Linux,
but it wouldn't be an overly intricate job to write one.

> how stable are these cards (the ones that require your loader)
> under Linux? If i do the firmware loading correctly, they will
> work as expected, right?

I don't have any M-Audio device, but from what I've heard, all
MidiSport devices work just fine.

> Do you see any problems in the future, like - your loader not working
> anymore under future versions of the Linux kernel, etc.

I don't foresee any incompatible changes to the kernel.

HTH
Clemens