Re: [linux-audio-user] What is status vxpocket + alsa + jack

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] What is status vxpocket + alsa + jack
From: digger vermont (dv_mlist_AT_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 06:27:04 EET

Hi Chris,

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 22:43, Chris Pickett wrote:
> digger vermont wrote:

> > Ahh, but it's not so simple. Jack has an alsa driver. My limited
> > understanding is that the frames/period must be a power of 2 of the
> > sample rate. The UA-20 is at 44100 which doesn't work.
>
> Are you really saying that 44.1 kHz doesn't work with ALSA and JACK?

No not quite the UA-20, and usb-audio in general, does work with alsa.
It's Jack and its alsa driver.

> Isn't 16-bit 44.1 kHz the CD audio standard? I'm quite surprised (but
> not doubting you) if that's the real reason your UA-20 doesn't work.

As far as I know 44.1 khz is the standard for CD. After too much time
searching it's the reason I came up with. Looking at jack-devel
archives it was a heated debate to have jack use anything that wasn't
n^2. It looked like they decided to support it, but at least the
version of jack I have doesn't yet.

Once again though, I barely understand it myself. I looked for a link
that was straight forward in explaining it, but no luck. Maybe someone
else here can explain it better.

Seeya

digger