Re: [linux-audio-user] debian sarge/demdui for audio (was Re: Jackstart - realtime capabilities issues)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] debian sarge/demdui for audio (was Re: Jackstart - realtime capabilities issues)
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 00:55:31 EET

Thanks for your post, Eric.

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 4:54 pm, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> I'm hesitant to jump into using demudi, though,
> not knowing what happens to the project once the funded development
> period ends.

AFAIK DeMuDi existed before Agnula (which is the funded project) and both are
likely to continue pretty much hand in hand once the funding ends in ?April.
The project doesn't look likely to come to a sudden end, more likely just
open up a bit more.

I don't really have a big enough / fast enough box to compile my own, or that
much experience doing it that way. Using the Agnula packages has given me a
way of at least looking at the applications everyone is talking about. Even
if they don't all work 100% properly, yet. I've been having great fun
spinning softsynths through Jack-Rack, but I'm still having problems to get
really useable results from MusE, Rosegarden or Ardour (as I say, Yet). My
standards are probably rather high. This is a combination of my lack of
understanding & probably slightly dodgy config & the immaturity of these
apps. I'm confident that all these factors will change over the course of the
year. There may be certain apps that I need to compile specifically for the
system. Swami may be one, I'm probably most concerned about using original
sound patches and the Debian package 'smurf' does not work.

I'm going to stick with my Agnula unstable / Sarge system for now & see how it
goes.

cheers

tim hall