Re: [linux-audio-user] is (88200->44100) better than (96000->44100)?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] is (88200->44100) better than (96000->44100)?
From: Richard Seymour (nutate_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 18:08:14 EET

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Andrew Gaydenko <a_AT_etver.com> wrote:
>>The question is in subject. The situation is: I'm going to capture some of my
>>old LP disks and (after some processing) write some mixes to CD. I'm able to
>>record with any format from 24/96 and lower. Which recording samples rate and
>>size are the best in accordance with next converting to CD format?
   <snippage>
> The final step of converting from 24/XXXXX to 16/44100 should also
> include dithering which libsndfile does not do (yet, plans on the
> board).

 From what I've read (in TapeOp) it seems like dithering is really the
key to the 24 -> 16 conversion. People pay good money for proper
dithering noise I guess.

I have just been toying around with recording from my Stanton str8-80
(not really audiophile) which has a 44100 digital out to a hoontech xg
(ymfpci). It seemed to work rather well, but I'm all about streamlining
the process as far as track chopping, etc. I was just using snd, but I
may look into gnome wave cleaner (especially for dirtier/older records).

-Rich