[linux-audio-user] Re: Some music made with Linux

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: Some music made with Linux
From: David Baron (d_baron_AT_012.net.il)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 11:45:07 EET

Running Ntonyx software under wine? Yes, I have tried.

Style enhancer version 3 will only run from the login profile where it was
installed. I have complained about this but it has not been fixed to my
knowledge. So one get's the message: You need to reinstall the styles.

Style enhancer version 2.* will attempt to run. Programs that need to load
something else under wine will rarely work. This one needs to load either a
16bit or 32bit version of a sequencer component (apparently not recognized as
a local dll). This fails. Wine needs a PIF file for each application to
judicate such things and also to resolve the symbol table once instead of
every load. Hint-hint, winemakers!

Onyx did not work if I recall correctly.

Other software:

Jammer, as opposed to a few other sequecing and MIDI playering apps, did mesh
with the active MIDI devices emulated from ALSA through wine's OSS. (Wine's
ALSA interface has not worked for me). The program died in neverland.

Audio stuff I cannot try as of yet, but since this become RT-critical, I would
say not to bother. A VST enabled Adour will be as good as some Windows DAW
programs.

An aside, XGEdit will run under wine, play to and control my sw60xg throught
the mpu401 driver. Attempting to read the usb-audio (which is working under
kernel 2.4.22) hangs.

ABCmuse will play through the mpu401 interface just fine.

How any of this stuff would fair under a more intensive VM such as VMWare or
WIn4Linux -- has anyone tried? I do not have the money to buy them and now
trial is available.