Linux sampler projects, was Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux

Subject: Linux sampler projects, was Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 18:44:12 EET

Greetings:

  Interesting discussion. I'll bet the apparent differences of opinion
would be better handled over a few pints instead of over the wires.

  It might be a far more valuable discussion if we all agreed upon what
we think a software sampler should be doing. I've owned a number of
hardware samplers, so I should expect at least the following features in
one made entirely of software :

    Raw sample editing (envelopes, tuning, signal processing)
    Full MIDI implementation (responsive to full range controllers,
controller mapping, SPMTE/MTC support)
    Realtime parameter adjustments (filter cutoff frequency, tuning)
    Flexible audio output routing (stereo, individual channels a la
Hydrogen)
    Flexible keyboard mapping & layering (velocity zones & switching,
overlapping sample layers)

  I'd like to read what others here think should go into the design of a
software sampler. I've looked over the specs of Gigasampler but have
never used it: is anyone on this list familiar with its features ? If
so, which of its features should be introduced into Pete's or anyone
else's Linux sampler ?

  Btw, at this point I consider Pete's app more of a sample-playback
program. It's a far cry from the hardware samplers I've used, but it's
also a *lot* more easily usable, ergo a lot more fun to use. I've been
using it lately for some song experiments, it's very impressive. Pete's
been quite responsive to suggestions, he has every right to be proud of
his project, but I also consider Benno's project to be something
different (at this time: that difference may narrow in the near future).
IIRC the Linux sampler project includes support for some commercially
available sample formats, and I imagine it's going to be very concerned
about its realtime performance under heavy loads. That said, I should
point out that Specimen rocks under JACK. Given more time and some more
essential features, Specimen may well evolve into the Linux sampler
project we've all been waiting for.

  Okay, just my two pfennigs. Back into my shell...

Best regards,

dp