Re: [linux-audio-user] 1U" music PCs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] 1U" music PCs
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 18:01:58 EET

Steve Harris wrote:
> http://www.coyoterd.com/musican.htm
>
> Runs Windows ME (yuk!) out of the box, but I'm guessing you could rebuild
> it into a linux box.
>
> - Steve

We use a lot (like a 1000?) of these sort of server boxes for our Gaming
business. http://www.homelanfed.com A few comments:

1) Usually these servers are pretty deep cases and would stick way out
of the back of a normal rack full of studio equipment. This one looks
pretty cool at only 13" deep.

2) Be sure on this one that you like the motherboard in the box. It
doesn't look like a normal PC MB but something considerably smaller. Not
sure if you can replace that one very easily.

3) In general these cases are meant to go into noisy server rooms, which
are made noisy be noisy servers. (Get my point?) Anyway, I don't see any
specs on what sort of noise this one produces, but even one of those we
have here in the office would drive you nuts in 15 minutes I think.
(Even in a closet they are too noisy!)

I love the idea of a stack af about 8 of these running Linux apps. Oh
yeah, the HomeLAN guys run a lot of Linux servers....

Mark