Re: [linux-audio-user] Live Laptop Linux FX processor...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Live Laptop Linux FX processor...
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 09:54:04 EET

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 16:37, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 12:43, Steve Harris wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 01:03:30 -0500, hanaghan_AT_starband.net wrote:
> > > Also, this is running on my "ttable" .asoundrc config with 2 x SBlives.
> > > Jack is setup with 4 inputs and 4 outputs. Perhaps AMS does not expect to
> > > see this? I just assumed if it's humming along in Jack without problems
> > > AMS would figure it out. Ardour recognizes the 4 ports without issue.
> >
> > AMS can't tell, the ports appear the same to all JACK applications.
> >
> > Things you could try:
> >
> > increase the buffer size incase AMS is causing an xrun and choking
>

> This was it! You rock! :) Now to figure out how to use the bloody
> thing!:)

So I figured out some stuff that will be ultimately useful. I am now
looking at trying Alsa Mod Synth as my LADSPA host and I just snagged an
old Digitech RP 10 on Ebay. I use a RP6 anyway but it died this
week...Upside is, RP10 has assignable midi controllers. So I can have my
guitar rig and use midi footswitches to control plugs in AMS
(Hopefully).on vocal processing on PA. Now heres where I'm coming up
short...I need a reverb (Freeverb is great..can bind to "Wet" I think
for on/off) also a delay (many to choose from) and I'm looking at a
vocoder or harmonizer for filling out vocals a bit.

The 2 pitchshifters in the LADSPA set seem to make AMS segfault. Is
there any other harmonizer or pitch shifter type plugs that might work?
Perhaps the offer of small children and camels to Steve might produce
one? 8~}

Gotta say, I have been hot on the trail of this Linux Audio stuff here
in the last 2 weeks and I'm frankly amazed at what I'm doing at home
with this stuff at this point.I already used the Ardour / Jack combo on
just the laptop at a gig for digiatl reverb on vocals...Now I'm creating
a bloody monster with all this other stuff. But hey, if this works, It's
about the equivalent of $1000.00 US digital processing gear at least!
And its more fun to boot!

R~