[linux-audio-user] Re: Alsa not working in new 2.6.* kernel

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: Alsa not working in new 2.6.* kernel
From: David Baron (d_baron_AT_012.net.il)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 23:54:42 EET

1. All that stuff which was in modules.conf now goes elsewhere: modprobe.conf
or modules.conf.alsa. /etc/modprobe.d/alsa is auto-generated but you may need
to add your non-autodetected devices. Check with other for most correct place
to add then. I actually have it in both. Those /etc/alsa/modutils/ items are,
I believe, relevant to the old kernel.

2. Make sure nothing is loading OSS modules. If you do not have them compiled
in the kernel, then they are not there. Some folks run "discover", and handy
utiltity (Knoppix does this as well) and this load OSS drivers if they are
around.

3. If you are using USB devices, you need to have uhci-hcd loaded, ie.
in /etc/modules. Note that I am having problems with this module (which
replaces usb-uhci used in older kenrels).