Re: [linux-audio-user] shuttle xpcs as linux music boxes?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] shuttle xpcs as linux music boxes?
From: Rob (lau_AT_kudla.org)
Date: Sat Feb 28 2004 - 02:17:22 EET

On Friday 27 February 2004 18:44, glyn wrote:
> i'm currently mulling over the idea of getting one of those
> really small shuttle xpcs for use as a quasi-portable
> linux-based audio box/desktop replacement, and was wondering
> if anybody had used them before and had suggestions or
> encountered caveats/hardware problems/quality control

I installed Mandrake 9.2 on one that I gave my brother for xmas,
an Athlon 2400+ with 512MB of RAM, and it worked perfectly.
Possibly the smoothest installation I've ever done, though
that's partly because it was limited-use (basically just a
custom menu in Gambas that let them run 14 different Linux
games.) It was running alsa, I think, but I never tried
recording or anything like that. And it was super, super quiet
though I do think it still had a fan.

I would want to use an outboard DAC or USB/firewire sound module,
but I fully intend to make my next desktop one of those things
and to do audio work on it.

Rob