Re: [linux-audio-user] shuttle xpcs as linux music boxes?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] shuttle xpcs as linux music boxes?
From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen (k.s.matheussen_AT_notam02.no)
Date: Sat Feb 28 2004 - 17:12:46 EET

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 linux-audio-user-request_AT_music.columbia.edu wrote:

glyn:

> hi all,
>
> i'm currently mulling over the idea of getting one of those really small
> shuttle xpcs for use as a quasi-portable linux-based audio box/desktop
> replacement, and was wondering if anybody had used them before and had
> suggestions or encountered caveats/hardware problems/quality control
> issues/etc. apparently the amd-based systems use an integrated realtek
> audio chip that is supported under alsa, but i'd probably put a better
> audio interface in the one available pci slot anyways.

I have been running an nforce2 shuttle since june. Except for the
previous problems with local apic and the problems with the intel8x0/ac97
modules, both solved now, it has been great, especially the built-in
soundcard. I can actually run jack with a frame size of 32 (to much xruns
to be usable though), very nice. The biggest problem now is the noise.
It does _not_ make much noise, but when running hot the power supply
fan changes speed all the time which is extremely annoying. That problem
is probably/hopefully solved in the newer versions though.