Re: [linux-audio-user] drum loops, samples,

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] drum loops, samples,
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 13:02:51 EET

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:40:00AM +0000, Daniel James wrote:
> > > Although this can be an effect in its own right - last week we
> > > were trying out LADSPA Tape Delay, trying to get the sound of a
> > > Watkins Copicat (explanatory picture follows for the
> > > post-analogue generation):
> >
> > Did you manage to faithfully reproduce that warm muffled warble of
> > worn tape?
>
> Not really - digital is a bit too clean. You could fake it with a
> second plugin after the tape delay though - maybe a valve effect, an
> oscillator, some EQ...

There are actually some internal problems when you slow the "tape" down
too far - you get some digital aliasing. Should be fixed, but these things
take time. If people submit sound-quality bug reports those things get
moved up my todo list, and there are things on my todo list that have been
there for a year or more, so dont hold your breath :(

> > I find some of the names of the plugins a bit obscure, not being a
> > techie or sound engineer as such, I mean "Barry's Satan Maximizer"
> > sounds great, but what does it DO?
>
> Try it - you'll see it's a very good name for that plugin...

Yeah. Its not exactly useful for many people, but there are a handful of
people who really wanted it :) Sadly the documentation for it
(http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa-swh/docs/ladspa-swh.html#id1408) is full of
typos, but homefully you can make out what I meant.

- Steve