Re: [linux-audio-user] Digitech (DoD) RP-10 and Midi controlers...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Digitech (DoD) RP-10 and Midi controlers...
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 00:32:10 EET

Steve Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 01:58:47 -0800, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>
>>Steve,
>>
>>Can you think of an implementation that I could use in AMS to do this
>>with the "patch change" data being transmitted? Can I set up different
>>patches in AMS, duplicate reverbs for instance, say one "on" and one
>>"off" and change between them with the data already being streamed from
>>the pedal?
>

> I dont think so - I think you need another program between the midi in and
> AMS, but MIDI is not really my thing. You could ask on the ams-user list.
>
> - Steve

I think we've had this discussion a number of times in different forms.
The issue comes up when you don't like the MIDI velocity mapping of your
keybaord and want to change the curves, or you want to use a keyboard
but create splits. I don't think we ever talked about receiving one kind
of MIDI data and turning it into a completely different kind of MIDI
data, but it falls into the same sort of problem space. (And an
interesting problem space it is.)

In this very simple, sort of non-real time problem being discussed here,
I wonder is some smart scripting guy couldn't write something really
simple and just run it in an xterm? Could you pipe all MIDI data to a
little perl script of some type and then that script would look for a
certain pattern and output something to another pipe? I remember long ag
Paul DAvis wanted me to test my MIDI driver using dd just to see if it
was functioning. Maybe in a very limited sense you could make a little
program at the command line that would do what's required here?

Easy for me to say since I don't have to do it... ;-)

- Mark