Re: [linux-audio-user] ppc audio input..

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ppc audio input..
From: Martin Habets (errandir_news_AT_mph.eclipse.co.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 17:04:56 EET

> From: dmotd <inaudible_AT_dart.net.au>
> i'm using the g3 internal soundcard (chip=burgandy) with both the
> oss-lite and alsa drivers.. neither driver has improved the
> situation.. for a bit of clarity, no sound is passed through the
> chip, and capture/recording doesn't work for any of the inputs, in
> fact in alsa there are no capture devices available at all and an
> inspection of '/proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub0/status' reveals the
> unfortunate message 'closed'..

It is normal that the status has closed unless you are actually recording.
My G4 titanium uses the snapper chip, so we use the same kernel driver. What do
you have in /proc/asound/devices? I get:
   1: : sequencer
   0: [0- 0]: ctl
  16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
  24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
  33: : timer

If you get a similar entry for capture, we should be able to get it going.
Make sure your "PCM 1" and "Monitor" entries are turned up in your mixer.
Like Derek I also have a lot of noise problems, but my best results so far
are with PCM 1 set to 75%-85% and Monitor set to 90%. I'm still puzzled how
these two relate.

> on the flipside, os9 has no problems with sound input, which leads
> me to suspect that it has control of an internal setting that linux
> does not..

Hmm, haven't checked out the Mac OS side yet. Will have to give that a try
sometime.

> can anyone shed some light, or perhaps tell me who to politely
> abuse! btw, i tried alsa-user-list but my msg is trapped in the
> moderation blackhole...

You could try a friendly mail to: linuxppc-dev_AT_lists.linuxppc.org
I'm using the PPC specific kernels from: http://penguinppc.org/dev/kernel.shtml
so far with the same results you get (the 2.5 tree realy holds the 2.6 kernel now).
But any fixes will be in here first.

Martin