[linux-audio-user] /dev/midi... which one?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] /dev/midi... which one?
From: Tim Sullivan (tsullivan_AT_datawest.net)
Date: Sun Mar 14 2004 - 03:13:48 EET

Hello,

I have a couple of related questions I am hoping some kind soul on this
list might clarify. I'm currently running Fedora Core 1 with
the CCRMA kernel 2.4.24 + CCRMA alsa RPMs.

I'd like to write a small test program to send/receive to a midi
device connected to: 1) midi port on sound card, 2) midi port on
USB MidiSport 2x2. The output of aconnect -lio shows

client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer '
    1 'Announce '
client 64: 'Rawmidi 0 - ES1371' [type=kernel]
    0 'ES1371 '
client 72: 'Rawmidi 1 - MidiSport 2x2' [type=kernel]
    0 'MidiSport 2x2 Port 0'
    1 'MidiSport 2x2 Port 1'

When looking in the /dev directory, I see different flavors of midi
devices (eg /dev/amidi0, /dev/dmmidi0, /dev/midi0, /dev/rmidi0,
/dev/snd/midiC0D0, etc.) My test program needs to open a connection
to the appropriate devices. So, my questions are, what device does
alsa map to the sound card midi port and what device would I use
for the USB connected MidiSport?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-tim