Re: [linux-audio-user] extreme time stretching

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] extreme time stretching
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (eric_AT_zhevny.com)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 06:09:22 EET

I've done some pretty extreme stretching/compressing of time with
ecasound's -ei effect (labeled as a pitch shifter). The default builtin
implementation (linear interpolation, I think?) will do arbitrary
percentages up or down. I don't have a great critical ear for sound
quality (things tend to just sound different in different ways rather
than better or worse) but it seems fine to me and works. If you compile
ecasound with SRC support the shift is limited to 12x in either
direction. But, as Steve pointed out to me on #lad last week(?) you can
do multiple iterations to get greater shifts/stretches. Using SRC the
resulting sound is somehow smoother sounding than with the internal
ecasound version.

-Eric Rz.