[linux-audio-user] Re: extreme time stretching

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: extreme time stretching
From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen (k.s.matheussen_AT_notam02.no)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 16:38:21 EET

Frank Barknecht:

> BTW, one of the beautifullest examples of extreme stretching isn't
> Jane Fonda, but the "Beetstretch" project of Leif Inge:
> http://www.notam02.no/9/ who stretched Beethoven's 9th Symphony -
> which originally is about 1 hour - to be 24 hours long. The
> audio-files are several gigabytes large, an obvious use case for
> Bittorrent.
>
> Maybe Kjetil would elaborate a bit, how this was done, as I read that
> he was involved in the Beetstretch?

It was made with common lisp music.
The stretching-function was made by the
composer and programmer Anders Vinjar. The function
is basicly based on the make-granulate function with parameters
finetuned for the current stretch. Not very advanced,
most credits for the nice sound goes to Bill Schottstaedt
for the make-granulate function.

I did the dirty work, setting up scripts, high-level
lisp programming, doing conversions, fixing disk-space etc.