Re: [linux-audio-user] measuring sound volume

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] measuring sound volume
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 17:38:01 EET

Steve Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 11:54:49 +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>>I have been asked to work on a large outdoor party again this year.
>>
>>This time we are going to have multiple zones with powerful equipment.
>>
>>Can anyone give me some tips on appropriate spacing to enable a good mix
>>of cleaness and sound fusion?
>>
>>For example if I have 4 x 20KW systems how far apart from each other
>>should they be so they don't overpower each other?
>

> I dont know how much SPL you get from the equipment, but if you are Xm
> from one speaker and X*2m from the other, the nearest one will only be
> about 12dB louder.
>
> the inverse square power law gives
> difference = (distance from A / distance from B)^2
>
> in dB's 20 * log10(difference);
>
> so to get 40dB's of difference (seems like a reasonable minimum) you have
> to be 10x nearer to the nearest stack than the next nearest.
>
> How loud those dB's appear to be depends on what the SPL is, I think you
> need more difference with a higher SPL, human ears compress, especially at
> high volumes.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Steve

Definitely

So if a zone is 10 meters a minimum distance between systems would be
100 meters?

Could that be cut down to 50 to provide fusion at the edges of the zones?

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com

Apparently upon the beginning of the barrage, the donkey broke discipline and panicked, toppling the cart. At that point, the rockets disconnected from the timer, leaving them strewn around the street. Tethered to the now toppled cart, the donkey was unable to escape before the arrival of U.S. troops.

United Press International Rockets on donkeys hit major Baghdad sites

By P. MITCHELL PROTHERO Published 11/21/2003 11:13 AM