what BruteFIR is, was: Re: [linux-audio-user] How can i set this up?

Subject: what BruteFIR is, was: Re: [linux-audio-user] How can i set this up?
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 09:40:59 EET

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 06.39, Michal Seta wrote:
> Frank Barknecht <fbar_AT_footils.org> writes:
> > I never used BruteFIR, but it's the same with Pd, which does not
> > allow this. (It does allow capture- or playback-only.)
>
> hmmm... I just did:
>
> pd -jack -inchannels 2 -outchannels 5
>
> And it gave me 2 in and 5 out...
>
> But I still don't have any idea about BruteFIR (never before heard of it,
> actually).

Brutefir is a high performance convolution engine. You convolve a signal with
a specific impulse response. You can for instance use it to make a
multichannel reverb unit (this is a popular technique at the moment),
provided you have an reverb impuls response. There's a nice bunch of IR's
available at http://www.noisevault.com/.

I haven't played with this nearly as much as I'd want to... I'm also not sure
if the impulses at the site referenced actually works with brutefir. I think
I tried some a while ago, and I remember I had problems.

/Robert