Re: [linux-audio-user] Major problem with RME HDSP/Multiface and a 64-bit AMD laptop

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Major problem with RME HDSP/Multiface and a 64-bit AMD laptop
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 19:44:41 EET

Daniel James wrote:
>>FSB on this beast to the best of my knowledge should be plenty fast
>>(200MHz x ?
>

> As I understand it, the AMD64 architecture doesn't have a front side
> bus.

no no no no no no nooooooo ;-)

ALL microprocessors have a 'Front Side Bus'. This is the physical bus
between the processor and the chipset. It has to exist unless you get a
processor built into the chipset itself.

*Most* processors get to memory by going through the FSB to the north
bridge of the chipset, and then from the chipset to the memory chips.
Historically this has been one of the bottlenecks in getting better
system performance.

*Some* processors can actually connect memory directly to the processor
on a private memory bus.

AMD are promoting the chips on the basis that they don't have
> the memory bottleneck of the 32-bit Intel architecture.

Well, this may be partially true, in the sense that AMD has added a lot
more bandwidth on their buses in recent processors so the bottlenexk is
less of an issue than on most Intel systems today, but ALL systems have
a memory bottleneck, in the sense that it's not unlimited bandwidth. It
just may be less of a problem than other parts of the system.

> I'm currently researching a piece on AMD64 for Sound on Sound, so I'd
> be glad to hear about any real-world experiences. I'm waiting for a
> case to be delivered, so I can build an Opteron 240 machine based on
> an Asus SK8V board.

The eMachines M6805 laptop have been an excellent performer under
Windows XP running Pro Tools, but eMachines tells me they've stopped
making it. Very little in-depth data (yet) under Linux though. Ivica is
working with the M6807 I think.

The entry level price on these AMD-64 machines is phenominal - HP has
one at only a few dollars over $1K.