[linux-audio-user] Re: hard disk sampler

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: hard disk sampler
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 16:45:56 EET

>From: "Hawkeye Parker" <hawkeye.parker_AT_autodesk.com>
>
>essentially, what i'm looking for is some way to reproduce the ~nature~
>of Sonic Foundry's Acid for Windows. i don't really *want* Acid, or even

Does the suggested Specimen + Seq24 work that way?

I have used Rosegarden with loop samples. Problems: audio clips
are skipped and played at wrong speed, could not set tempo properly
for some reason, there are silences between consequtive clips.

I have also hard time to make anything usable with the loops.
I'm really beginner in arranging. It took me quite a while to
notice that the loops I have can be grouped to groups of slightly
different lengths. Further, a group can have 0.5, 1 and 1.5 length
loops. Different groups could indicate the loops of different groups
simply cannot be used in the same arrangement without tempo change.
Try the samples yourself:
  www.mountedbythegods.com
  ftp.funet.fi/pub/culture/music/western/Yello/ (for tar.bz2 file)

The samples are provided by Boris Blank of Yello. If you're curious:
very recently two interviews of BB appeared at Native Instruments and
Emagic websites. I wish we would have software similar to Logic.
BB provides Absynth2 sounds at NI site, but they are usable and
available only for Absynth2 users.

>any suggestions?

Next I will check Ardour.

I'm compiling a list of software which comes with source code.
Below I have appended some picks.

I too have used Csound for arranging (at 1997). I wrote C code
such as
  track(16);
  push();
  bskip(6*8);
  for(i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
    apps(16,0.8);
  }
  pop();
and that was made to Csound sco file like this
  i16 17.527846 3.316531 0.800000
  i16 20.436936 3.316531 0.800000
  i16 23.346026 3.316531 0.800000
  i16 26.255116 3.316531 0.800000
  i16 29.164207 3.316531 0.800000
  i16 32.073298 3.316531 0.800000
  i16 34.982390 3.316531 0.800000
  i16 37.891482 3.316531 0.800000
  i16 40.800574 3.316531 0.800000
  i16 43.709666 3.316531 0.800000
and Csound orc file looks like this (close enough)
  instr 16
    asig1 soundin "oneshot3.wav"
    outs p4 * asig1,p5 * asig1
  endin

If all those new audio software still fails to compile or have
major problems, I have to return to the above simple approach.
Instead of Csound I could use software similar to rawseq or ss.

Regards,
Juhana

 == cut ==

Anthem audio sequencer
% http://anthem.sourceforge.net
Ardour audio sequencer
% http://www.ardour.org
Axel audio sequencing and mixing library
% http://www.metadecks.org/software/axel/
% see also Remix
Beast sequencer and modular synth
% http://beast.gtk.org
BINARS sequencer
% http://binars.sourceforge.net
Brahms multitrack sequencer
% http://brahms.sourceforge.net
FluidSynth SoundFont synth
% http://www.fluidsynth.org
gmorgan rhythm station, a pattern sequencer
Gungirl Sequencer multitrack sequencer
% http://ggseq.sourceforge.net
Hydrogen
% http://hydrogen.sourceforge.net
Jazz
% http://www.jazzware.com
LinuxSampler disk based sampling synth
% http://www.linuxsampler.org
Melys MIDI sequencer
% http://www.parabola.demon.co.uk/melys/
% http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/melys/
midimountain MIDI sequencer
% http://www.midimountain.com
MixMagic multitrack sequencer
% http://mixmagic.sourceforge.net
Mixxx DJ player
% http://mixxx.sf.net
MusE multitrack audio and MIDI sequencer
% http://lmuse.sourceforge.net
Oolaboola DJ tool
% http://www.hyperreal.org/~est/oolaboola
Remix sequencing and mixing library
% http://www.metadecks.org/software/remix/
% see also Axel
Rosegarden audio and MIDI sequencer
% http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/rosegarden/
% http://www.rosegardenmusic.com
% http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net ????
seq24 MIDI sequencer
% http://www.filter24.org/seq24/
simsam sampling synth
% http://simsam.sourceforge.net/
Snd multitrack editor
% http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/CCRMA/Software/snd/
sooperlooper
% http://essej.net/sooperlooper
Soundtracker pattern sequencer
% http://www.soundtracker.org
Specimen sampling synth
% http://www.gazuga.net
SpiralLoop
TerminatorX
Timidity sampling synth with SoundFont support
% http://timidity.sourceforge.net
% http://www.onicos.com/staff/iz/timidity/
TSE3 sequencer engine (used by Anthem)
ttrk MIDI sequencer with a tracker UI