Re: [linux-audio-user] couple of muse questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] couple of muse questions
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 18:12:07 EET

On Wednesday 24 March 2004 7:44 am, James Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 12:49:50AM +0000, tim hall wrote:
> > On Wednesday 24 March 2004 12:04 am, antoine rivoire wrote:
> > > a simple stupid question: in muse the tempo is in percentage?
> > > or is 100 really 100 bpm? what is the rationale here?
> >
> > It's BPM.
>
> No its not (AFAIK).
>
> When you start Muse, the default is 100%, 120 bpm.

Right, I was slightly off-beam.
You set the tempo using Edit>Mastertrack>... (in bpm) - ignore this %tempo
widget.
I guess that the rationale for this control is for when you want to record
something at half speed or whatever, without altering the Master track's bpm
settings. The default is 120bpm and this tempo fine-tune is obviously set to
100%. The documentation for MusE is virtually non-existent, what is not
obvious is that this very prominent widget is not designed for setting the
tempo - It's for altering the tempo in % steps. Hope that makes sense.

> What does muse -R do?

Runs it in realtime, if you're not connected via Jackd.
Maybe I'm kludging a bit, I'm still using 0.6.1, which doesn't work well with
Jackd. (Help not required, I know why). I'm looking forward to upgrading.
I'm a little wary of rolling my own, but MusE will be a likely candidate if I
decide to bite the bullet.

cheers

tim hall