Re: [linux-audio-user] couple of muse questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] couple of muse questions
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 09:24:11 EET

> Yep.. its 0.6.3 and jack is run through qjackctl with realtime option.
> Muse is compiled with rtcap so it is not suid (thought it was safer..)
> but if I do change it to suid and then start with -R, it starts okay
> with no error messages...?? Maybe rtcap does not enable enough realtime
> capabilities!!?

This is a possibility, it's a bug in that case, I have a vague memory of
something similar being reported some time ago.

As for running MusE suid, this is in itself not a problem unless your machine
is compromised, in which case you someone use it to lock up the machine
(which is equally true for rtcap:ed muse). The prospect that someone has
bothered to find a security hole in MusE to gain control of a machine through
it's suid usage seems a tad unlikely.

/Robert