Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Recent LKML discussion on preempt/latency in 2.6 kernels

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Recent LKML discussion on preempt/latency in 2.6 kernels
From: Sampo Savolainen (v2_AT_iki.fi)
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 11:36:35 EET

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano <nando_AT_ccrma.stanford.edu>:
> Caveats: FC1 qt + dri + 2.6.4 + SCHED_FIFO = hanging machine, as
> reported a while back. Yuck. Turning off dri solves this one at the cost
> of no acceleration.
>
> With all the above I'm able to run Jack with SCHED_FIFO and no xruns in
> a short test run at 64x2 (with a background task tar'ing /usr to a
> file). But with DRI off, Qjackctl and some real Jack applications I do
> get xruns even at 128x2, I guess my cpu is maxing out...

I'm confused. I probably have misunderstood something, but: First you say,
that you get a "hanging machine" with SCEHD_FIFO enabled applications, but
later you say that you can run Jack with SCHED_FIFO with all the different
configurations/kernels you mention.

What do you mean with a hanging machine? Do you get 'random' lockups, or
does your system hang always when some specific software is run with SCHED_FIFO?

Do you get lockups with this kernel & setup (option d in your email)?

Could you give a list of specific patches (and urls) you have applied to
2.6.4-1.286.2.ll (option d), or maybe a link to the source package?

  Sampo