Re: [linux-audio-user] Beginner sampler questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Beginner sampler questions
From: Chris Metzler (cmetzler_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 19:03:55 EET

Hi. Thanks very much for your reply.

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:27:50 +0000
tim hall <tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk> wrote:

>> One of the most obvious uses I can see for a sampler would be to
>> use it to provide instrumentation that the user doesn't know how
>> to play. For instance, if I wanted to record myself on guitar
>> with a piano accompaniment, I could use a sequencer to write the
>> piano line and generate it through a sampler. But that brings my
>> first question -- if you don't own/play the instruments in question,
>> where do you get the samples? I've done a lot of web searching,
>> and found tons of drum loops and bass lines that are two measures
>> long and so forth, but don't find much in the way of e.g. individual
>> notes on basses.
>
> http://www.hammersound.net/

Yeah, I'd encountered this one before in the process of looking up
soundfonts. One of the reasons I was looking at using a sampler
with individual note .wav (or whatever) samples, rather than a
soundfont, was to avoid running up against hardware limitations on
soundfont sizes (and thus sample quality and/or completeness of
font). I hadn't thought of using something like fluidsynth. I
guess I was reflexively thinking that the cpu overhead (as opposed
to using dedicated hardware for the synthesis) might slow things
down or eventually cause synchronization issues; but I guess it's
not obvious that it'd be any worse than using a software sampler.

> http://www.findsounds.com/

Heh. I knew about this site, and had used it to look for sound
effects in the past. But for some reason, using it to look for
instrument samples just never occurred to me. Thanks.

> It's a time consuming business to make them from scratch, yes.

Oh, I wouldn't even mind the time consuming part. It's the "not
owning the instruments in question, and (for passages beyond one
note) not being able to play them smoothly if I did" part that
stops me! Heh.

Thanks.

-c

--
Chris Metzler			cmetzler_AT_speakeasy.snip-me.net
		(remove "snip-me." to email)

"As a child I understood how to give; I have forgotten this grace since I have become civilized." - Chief Luther Standing Bear