Re: [linux-audio-user] Beginner sampler questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Beginner sampler questions
From: Chris Metzler (cmetzler_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 19:53:50 EET

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:33:00 -0800
Mark Knecht <mknecht_AT_controlnet.com> wrote:
>Chris Metzler wrote:
>> One of the most obvious uses I can see for a sampler would be to
>> use it to provide instrumentation that the user doesn't know how
>> to play. For instance, if I wanted to record myself on guitar
>> with a piano accompaniment, I could use a sequencer to write the
>> piano line and generate it through a sampler. But that brings my
>> first question -- if you don't own/play the instruments in question,
>> where do you get the samples?
>
> I buy them. My sampler of choice is (the now long in the tooth)
> GigaStudio Ver 2.5x. (GSt) File format is *.gig. (Generally)
> LinuxSampler will play many of them, and it's getting better all the
> time.

OK, I hadn't been aware that LinuxSampler was yet in a usable form,
to be honest. I guess I reflexively figure that if something's only
available via CVS, it's probably not yet usable by non-programmers.
So I hadn't looked at it yet. Thanks for the heads up.

> My one piece of advice, assuming you're going to tell me that you
> don't have money, is to stay away from Sound Fonts converted to gig
> format (whether you buy them or do it yourself) if you are looking for
> the best results. You get what you pay for...

Except for with Linux! But I know what you mean. Many things, like a
better soundcard, are in the plans once I'm not, uh, underemployed.

> Good luck with your explorations,

Thanks muchly.

-c

--
Chris Metzler			cmetzler_AT_speakeasy.snip-me.net
		(remove "snip-me." to email)

"As a child I understood how to give; I have forgotten this grace since I have become civilized." - Chief Luther Standing Bear