Re: [linux-audio-user] Sample search

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Sample search
From: Free Ekanayaka (free78_AT_tin.it)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 20:29:23 EEST

    Mark> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 02:09 pm, Pete Bessman wrote:
>> ... 2) Walk through your massive library of samples and try
>> different sounds. ... [Chris] > > Of course, there are tons
>> and tons of samples available; but then, > > in order to
>> express the music you're hearing in your head, you're > > gonna
>> be spending hours and hours trying to find samples that > >
>> work.

    Mark> Where might all these samples be ?

    Mark> A few of us are trying to put together a free and open
    Mark> General MIDI compatible set of GUS pats, initially, in a way
    Mark> that the raw samples can be built up into SoundFonts or even
    Mark> small light weight gigasamples, or instrument patches of any
    Mark> kind.

    Mark> Please excuse the blatant plug but I believe this is a good
    Mark> cause and we _need_ (at first) free and open source samples
    Mark> to suit GM/GS/XG instruments at http://freepats.opensrc.org

Mark, I didn't know about this project. It's really useful. I gave a
short try to the patch set and made up a draft Debian package out of
it.

You can apt-get it at:

deb http://apt.agnula.org/buildd/autorelease/ ./

If you find them interesting here there are some sound fonts for
Fender Rhodes:

http://www.yeeking.net/index.php?location=Sound%20Fonts

It seems they are GPL.

bye,