Re: [linux-audio-user] Copy-Protection of Audio-CDs produced by myself

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Copy-Protection of Audio-CDs produced by myself
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 11:27:53 EEST

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 10.03, michael heubeck wrote:
> hi,
>
> how can i simply protect my own prduced audio-cds?
> which progs can i use? only commercial-ones?
>
> any experiences??

Unless you are talking about something else than the types of "copy protected"
CD's that are so much discussed, I would stronly advice you to _not_ use such
technologies.

There are definitively no open source equivalents for various reasons
   * it's wrong
   * it's applied at a very low level during the burning process
     (probably not supported by a standard burner)
   * it's not red-book (the cd-standard) compliant, e.g it breaks in several
     players.

If you are afraid people would copy your material, don't release it at all or
use other media (streaming or some such) to publicise it.

Pretty much all countries have laws that regulate this, it should be enough
for anyone...

/Robert