Re: [linux-audio-user] Copy-Protection of Audio-CDs produced by myself

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Copy-Protection of Audio-CDs produced by myself
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 12:01:33 EEST

> But still
> at least the last Warp-Record I bought had copy-protection on its
> CD-version

Perhaps this is something Warp has now abandoned, or perhaps their
policy on DRM is to discourage ripping in order to sell MP3
downloads. This might not be inconsistent, because the label's
margins on the download are probably better than on the retail CD,
even though the download is at a lower retail price.

As I understand it, the retail shop takes about half the price of the
CD, then you've got to subtract production and distribution costs,
and allowances for breakages. Then there's discounted sales and
returns of unsold product too. By contrast, I'd guess that the value
of paid downloads (direct from the label) is mostly profit.

Cheers

Daniel