Re: [linux-audio-user] Copy-Protection of Audio-CDs produced by myself

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Copy-Protection of Audio-CDs produced by myself
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 16:26:47 EEST

Greetings:

  One of my students came to his lesson without his tunes CD this week.
It's a home-burned disc, he put it in his in-car player (an older Sony
6-disc unit) and the player refused to recognize it. Worse, the player
refused to disgorge the disc. So, does anyone know how to get a CD out
of a player mounted in the dashboard of a car ?

  More relevant question: What causes such lock-ups ? I've experienced
players that refused to recognize some home-burned discs but I've never
had a player lock up while attempting to play one. I've also heard that
the reflective surface of some discs will send some players into fits.

  Do contemporary units look for a copy-protection bit ? Can the lack of
copy-protection cause a lock-up ? How will DRM-enabled players respond
to a home-burned disc ?

  Btw, someone should have tried to answer the original poster's
inquiry. AFAICT we've just responded with our opinions regarding the
vile nature of copy protection and the drawbacks of current copyright
law. In case anyone's interested in minimally copy-protecting a CD here
are some relevant entries from 'man cdrecord' :

     -copy If this flag is present, all TOC entries for subsequent audio
              tracks of the resulting CD will indicate that the audio
data has
              permission to be copied without limit. This option
has no
              effect on data tracks.

     -nocopy
              If this flag is present, all TOC entries for subsequent
audio
              tracks of the resulting CD will indicate that the audio
data has
              permission to be copied only once for personal use - this
is the
              default.

     -scms If this flag is present, all TOC entries for subsequent audio
              tracks of the resulting CD will indicate that the audio
data has
              no permission to be copied anymore.

Best,

dp