[linux-audio-user] VXPocket v2 help please

Subject: [linux-audio-user] VXPocket v2 help please
From: Jonathan Beilin (jbeilin_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 01:34:30 EEST

I have a VXPocket v2 PCMCIA soundcard. I got pcmcia-cs working just fine and
followed all the ALSA install instructions on the alsa-project. I started
the pcmcia service and started alsasound. /proc/asound lists card0 (i8x0)
and card1 (vxpocket). cat devices lists, for card 1,
32: [1- 0]: ctl
36: [1- 0]: hardware dependent .

aplay -l lists no playback for this card, and alsamixer reports no mixer
elems found for the card. xmms output plugin, predictably, also lacks an
option to output to the card.

any idea what's wrong? gentoo, running kernel 2.6.4-mm1 on a dell 8600.
Any help is appreciated.

here are the steps I took during installation:
(for those unfamiliar with gentoo, the emerge command is used to compile &
install packages)

# emerge pcmcia-cs
(copied some other guy's config.opts since cardmgr crashes w/ default
options.)

# emerge alsa-utils
# emerge alsa-tools
# emerge alsa-firmware

copied vxpocket.conf from alsa source to /etc/pcmcia

compiled a new kernel with ISA, PCMCIA, and ALSA support, with the VXPocket
driver compiled in (not as modules).

added these lines to /etc/modules.d/alsa:
alias snd-card 0 snd-intel8x0
alias snd-card-1 snd-vxpocket
post-install snd-vxpocket /usr/bin/vxloader
options snd cards_limit=2

# modules-update

restarted computer with the new kernel.

#/etc/init.d/pcmcia start
#/etc/init.d/alsasound restart

(I also tried removing the i8x0 lines and making snd-vxpocket card 0 but
that failed also. the intel i8x0 sound works just fine, it's just the
vxpocket that is presenting a problem)

Thanks again!