Re: [linux-audio-user] volume plugin

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] volume plugin
From: olig9_AT_gmx.de
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 11:51:11 EEST

Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Oliver Gerlich wrote:
>
>>my onboard sound chip (CMedia 9739, on Epox 8RDA3+, with nforce2
>>chipset) doesn't support volume changing in hardware (CMedia's cmaudio
>>driver for OSS does all the volume calculation in software). That means
>>that I'm unable to change the volume with alsamixer or similar programs.
>>
>>Now my question: is it possible to tell Alsa to change the volume in
>>software? Is there a plugin that does this?
>

> It would be possible to write such a plugin, but this hasn't been
> done.

Then here are my next questions :)
1.) Is it really possible to get inside a plugin the PCM & Master volume
settings that are set eg. with alsamixer?
2.) Would it be better to do all this in a new plugin, or better inside
the existing intel8x0 driver, or inside a new (yet to be written :)
snd-cmaudio driver, or in another completely different way? I'd be
willing to spend some time in getting my soundchip to work, but then I
want to do it right.

Oliver