[linux-audio-user] Picky Shuttle audio chipset conflicting with other cards...

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Picky Shuttle audio chipset conflicting with other cards...
From: Mr.Freeze (theremin_AT_free.fr)
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 18:26:35 EEST

Hey,
I'm using an "ice1712" soundcard (with whom I satisfied) on a Shuttle box, whose
"intel8x0" audio chipset powers I'm trying to "revive", in order to attempt
again to make the game Enemy Territory work at last, as it returned the
following error, when using the better soundcard of the two:

------- sound initialization -------
/dev/dsp: Input/output error
Could not mmap /dev/dsp
------------------------------------

One reported on the ET forum (on the thread "ET / Linux: no sound!") that it is
supposed to be due to this "ice1712" driver, quoting the "Advanced Linux Sound
Architecture - Driver Configuration Guide"

MMAP on ICE1712 driver
----------------------
ICE1712 supports only the unconventional format, interleaved 10-channels 24bit
(packed in 32bit) format. Therefore you cannot mmap the buffer as the
conventional (mono or 2-channels, 8 or 16bit) format on OSS.

When it comes to set multiple cards, the first audio card only on
/etc/modules.conf, whichever of the two it is, is installed after the boot-up.
detected on /proc/asound/cards.
Why?

Here's a snippet of my /etc/modules.conf:

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0

# Terratec EWX 24/96
alias sound-slot-0 snd-ice1712
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd-card-ice1712 snd_enable
alias /dev/dsp1 snd-pcm-oss

# Shuttle Intel Audio Chipset
alias sound-slot-1 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd-intel8x0 snd_enable
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss # ET can only route /dev/dsp

But... even if XMMS, for example, does play sounds when routed to the OSS
emulated "intel8x0" at /dev/dsp, no sound gets out of it and alsamixer labels
all volume controls by appending "[Off]".
Why?

Two problems to be solved then...

Cheers,
Mr°Freeze