Re: [linux-audio-user] New Kernel; No Sound. Linux-2.6.5 ALSA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] New Kernel; No Sound. Linux-2.6.5 ALSA
From: Martin McCormick (martin_AT_dc.cis.okstate.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 06:29:29 EEST

Mark Knecht writes:
>I believe that all of these still exist, but you may just have out of
>date versions. There are a number of packages to Alsa now:
>
>alsa-drivers
>alsa-oss
>alsa-lib
>alsa-tools (you probably need this)

Got them. All x-based.
>alsa-utils (you probably need this too)

        Got them and not totally sure what they do yet.:-)

>alsa-jack
>alsa-firmware
>
>Good luck,

        Thank you. The hardware is working, I think. I now have
audio that is fed in to the line in jack being passed through to the
output. I found an ancient program called setmixer going back to 1994
in the Debian treasure trove of packages that one can download.
Interestingly enough, that ancient program along with aumix both do
one and only one thing to the sound card. By telling either mixer to
adjust the line volume, the pass-through or monitor level adjusts
perfectly in that setting line to 100 is quite loud while setting it
close to 0 is almost all the way down.

        Both aumix and setmixer return sensable values for all the
other controls such as mic and PCM levels, but no other control has
any effect at all. If I cat /dev/dsp in to a file, I see the familiar
pattern of silence which is mostly 0x80 with the occasional 0x7f.

        I did download a new version of alsaplayer and it probably
will work if I ever get audio out of the card. .wav files seem to
silently play for the right amount of time.

        On the alsa site, I found several mixers and every darn one of
them requires a GUI. Unless there is one of them that will work from
the command line as well as from X, I haven't found anything that
I can use.

        The other possibility is to find some documentation describing
the ioctl interface to /dev/mixer and start banging out a C program
that talks to the correct registers, sort of a modern version of
setmixer that works.

        As one who has experimented with assembly language on several
processors, this has all the earmarks of a mapping problem. There is
probably a bit in some register that needs to be on or off, but the
old mixer control program is talking to the wrong register or the bit
is not even something this program knows about and it doesn't get set.

        For now, it's back to 2.4.19 if I want to hear any digital
audio.

        I really do appreciate all the help so far. This is nobody's
fault or anything like that. It is a case of rather complex
technology that is trying to work over a very wide range of hardware.
It's a miracle it works at all when you think of what all is
happening. On this computer, there is still one burned out bulb in
the string so to speak.

Martin