[linux-audio-user] anti-compressing?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] anti-compressing?
From: Andrew Gaydenko (a_AT_etver.com)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 14:50:00 EEST

Hi all,

Few days ago there was discussion in the list about mastering-CD/compressing/
limiting/gain-upping and so on. I have strange feeling from the discussion.
Does it mean, that, indead, we (all CD-listeners) listen DAMAGED with such
compressing music? I don't mean any music/sound engineering work! I'm saying
about market demands (compressed music is more sutable for cheap audio quipment,
isn't it? And compressed sound seems to be better at low volume level, don't it?).

If it is true (i.e., a market demands to damage music) - are there any (software)
tools to anti-compress a dynamic range? And - is it worth even to try to expand
dynamic range?

P.S. I'd like to repeat, I don't say about engineers work - they try to do
     their work as good as possible, I think. I'm saying about a market
     influence to music quality.

Andrew