[linux-audio-user] alsa setup

Subject: [linux-audio-user] alsa setup
From: Atte André Jensen (atte_AT_ballbreaker.dk)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 17:09:11 EEST

Hi

I'm confused about how to setup alsa. Originally I managed to get things
working, but after buying an usb sound card, I'm even so confused that
I'm not exactly sure what to ask, but I'll try.

I run debian/unstable on a laptop with my own 2.6.4 kernel and alsa 1.0.
  I have the following hardware that I believe to be related to alsa:

*Onboard i810 soundcard
*USB Edirol UA-1A sound card
*4 port usb hub
*2 evolution usb-keyboards connected to the hub
*I need one virtual midi port for each keyboard, so 2 for now

The problem is that right now the cards get assigned a card number that
reflects in what order they were inserted. I'd rather have them show up
on fixed locations. Below is my childish attempt on a /etc/modutils/alsa
file. I'm pretty sure it's not correct to refer to snd-usb-midi, since I
don't have a module by that name. Could anyone please give me a hand +
some general bckground information?

Thanks in advance!!!!

alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore