[linux-audio-user] How achieve smooth playing of multiple instances of linux audio players

Subject: [linux-audio-user] How achieve smooth playing of multiple instances of linux audio players
From: Robert Rozman (rozman_AT_fri.uni-lj.si)
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 12:21:35 EEST

Hi,

I have HTPC entertainment with home automation control integrated (Based on
Misterhouse). I also have couple of sound cards for 2 independent stereo
outputs that go to separate rooms. Now I start 2 instances of alsaplayer -
playing music to those rooms.

Now I have also some other processes on PC (Apache, PVR 350 video recording,
media serving to LAN) - so I get occasional hickups on music output. But I'd
like to play music smoothly probably at the price of resposivness of other
applications.

With what settings/configuration/additions could I achieve that. I assume
that assigning higher priorities may be not enough ?

How do you tweak your machines to get smooth audio play ?

Regards,

Robert.