Re: [linux-audio-user] sndfile-info and lots of questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] sndfile-info and lots of questions
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 12:50:40 EEST

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:43:00 -0700 (PDT)
R Parker <rtp405_AT_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As I've gone through my most challanging mastering
> project, I've developed more questions than answers.
>
> There's been reference, on this list, to documentation
> that explains file formats-- I don't recall the
> document title or where to find it. Ultimately, I need
> a resouce that explains things like; the number of
> available samples for the different bit depths (16bit
> range from -ABC to +XYZ, 24bit...), DC offset is, peak
> amplitude is, RMS is, etc.

Bits Range DC offset
16 [-32768, +32767] 0
24 [-8388608, +8388607] 0

> I need to know if samples are syncronous with decibel
> level,

Que? I think you men synonymous rather than synchronous.

> is maximum samples equal to 0db?

Yes, it is usually the case that 0dB is simply the maximum
sample value.

> In the following sndfile-info report, what are Length

File length in bytes.

> and Block Align?

An internal detail of how data is stored in a WAV file. In other
words, something you should ignore.

> Version : libsndfile-1.0.6

> File : guajira-jam.wav
> Length : 30396228
> RIFF : 30396220
> WAVE
> fmt : 16
> Format : 0x1 => WAVE_FORMAT_PCM
> Channels : 2
> Sample Rate : 44100
> Block Align : 4
> Bit Width : 16
> Bytes/sec : 176400
> data : 30396184
> End

> Sample Rate : 44100
> Frames : 7599046
> Channels : 2
> Format : 0x00010002
> Sections : 1
> Seekable : TRUE
> Duration : 00:02:52.313
> Signal Max : 25922
>
> Is Signal Max a measurement of used samples?

No it is the maximum absoulute sample value. Since this is a
16 bit PCM file, the range of sample values is [-32768, +32767].

What I'll do is change that last line to:

    Signal max : 25922 (-2.04dB)

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"In civilian equipment, such as computers, the number
of components alone makes miniaturization essential if
the computer is to be housed in a reasonable-sized
building." Electronics Oct. 1, 1957, p. 178