Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie questions for live gigging

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie questions for live gigging
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 00:08:54 EEST

Richard K. Ingalls wrote:
> I've been lurking on this list for a few months... I haven't even
> created a Linux Digital Audio Workstation yet, but I'd like to. I'm
> becoming more and more a believer in Open Source Software not only on
> the server but also on the desktop... (I digress, sorry).
>
> I'm looking at the latest MIDI sound modules and thinking can't I
> achieve many of these things using Linux and my PC?
>
> 1) I want to have many sounds available for live playing (via MIDI) on
> my keyboard. That's the top priority. Lots of sounds. Good quality
> sounds. I'm thinking a sample playback machine or sound fonts
> (right?). Can't I even achieve BETTER sounds with my PC than with a
> very expensive new sound module?

Maybe yes, maybe no. I think it depends on how much money you're willing
to spend on either side. I'm not very upbeat on most of the Sound Fonts
I've listened to. Maybe I haven't listened to the best of them. I don't
know. They just don't sound very alive or real to my ear.

Personally I'm a fan of Kontakt and GigaSampler for sample players.
Nothing in Linux is really ready to handle that task today, although
Linux Sampler is coming along and (for specific gig files) might meet
your needs. I use it in the Studio a little bit right now, but it hasn't
displaced GigaSampler yet. I am holding off on purchasing Gst 3.0 in
hopes that LS gets there soon, but I don't know if I can wait much
longer. We'll see... ;-)

As for soft synths, my current Windows platforms are running Reaktor
Session, Atmosphere, Acid Pro and a few other things less often. (And
GSt/Kontakt as above) If you're into programming your own sounds then I
think in the Linux area amSynth, ZynAddSubFx, Timidity, QSynt and
probably a few others should be investigated, but there's not much of a
community sharing patches yet so it's not like you'll get 100 good
sounds to play with on day 1 I think...

There are some good effects units in FreqTweak & tapiir, and Jamin is
worth some time if you need a tool like that, although it's not for live
work especially.

> 2) I'd like to be able to sequence those great sounds. It would be even
> better if I could use the sequencer WHILE playing live sounds through
> this machine.

This, I think, is possible. I've done it in the studio with Rosegarden
and me playing live. However, maybe you want to look at having a couple
of machines, one as a sequencer and one as a sound generator.

> 3) It would be very cool to be able to edit those sounds and tweak
> them. Doesn't have to be "live" though.

Yes, that would be cool... ;-)

> MY QUESTIONS: Can I achieve these goals without too much fuss (remember
> I'm a newbie)? Which "distro" (CCRMA or other?) would be best/easiest?
> Do I want to go with sound fonts? What sound card should I go with (not
> too expensive, ok?)?
>
> Thank you Linux Audio Gurus!

I would probably go with CCRMA and see if you can get some value from
the significant time investment you're going to be making. Later you can
look at other distro's if you feel you need them.

Good luck,
Mark