[linux-audio-user] regarding SCons

Subject: [linux-audio-user] regarding SCons
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 16:45:52 EEST

Greetings:

  I'm happy to see and hear another release of CheeseTracker, but I have
a couple questions regarding SCons. I'm not opposed to its use, it
appears to resolve many issues for cross-platform builders, but since it
is relatively new (and I'm relatively old) I'm a little confused by it.
The SCons FAQ is pretty much just useless history and doesn't answer the
following questions:

    1. Apparently SCons does without the need for anything like 'make
depend' or 'make clean'. If that's true, does it mean that SCons builds
fresh every time, i.e., that it autoerases the compiled objects ?

    2. If something like 'make clean' is supported, how do I invoke it ?
What can I do if I don't want automatic erasure of the object files ?

    3. No man pages, that sucks on a UNIX/Linux platform. The GNU
autotools have them, SCons should have them too.

    4. No 'scons uninstall' ?? Again, if I'm missing it, please inform
me how it's invoked.

  CT and Csound are now the only two apps on my system that use SCons.
The maintainers of Csound couldn't make the autotools work for
themselves, so now you must add downloading and installing SCons (and an
up-to-date Python) to the process of building Csound. Happily, that
isn't especially difficult, but it does add another layer of complexity
to the process. More to the point, why don't the mainstrean Linux
distros include SCons as a matter of course ?

Best,

dp